Prior to Your Spray Tan Appointment
• Moisturize frequently in the days prior to your spray tan.
• It is better to wear nail polish during your spray tan, even if it is just a clear coat. If not, petroleum jelly will be applied on your nails immediately before your spray.
• The day of the tan, you should not wear lotion, makeup, sunscreen, oil or deodorant. For best results, shower first and do not apply anything on your skin after you get out of the shower. Use a towel to buff off any conditioner that may have run down your back after you rinsed your hair.
• While showering, exfoliate with a non-oil based, gritty scrub to remove all dead skin, and shave any areas you normally shave.
• If it is raining or snowing the day of your appointment, it is recommended that you bring an umbrella and/or wear protective clothing – such as long pants, long-sleeved shirts and a sweatshirt.
• If you take your bra off when you’re getting sprayed, it is not recommend that you put it back on immediately due to it rubbing against the tan. Keep this in mind as you plan your errands after the appointment. Wear loose clothing to your appointment so that it does not rub against the tan when you leave.
Spray Tan After Care
• After your tan, you will be instructed on how long to wait prior to showering. Plan on no water or sweat during tan development time, which is about 3 hours. (Further development will occur after you shower, but will not be affected by water.)
• Be careful when washing hands or working with water while the tan is developing. Any part of the tan that gets touched by water will streak and leave an undeveloped, lighter area.
• While the tan is developing, the bronzer may get on the inside of your clothes. It should not stain, however this cannot be guaranteed. Dark colored clothing is recommended.
• There is bronzer (tan-colored makeup) in the solution that serves as a color guide for application purposes and will provide you with instant color, however, this is not your final result. When you shower, you will see bronzer wash off and this is normal. Your final result will be a lighter color.
• Face washes containing salicylic acid and/or benzoyl peroxide, and acne spot treatments are not recommended because those ingredients cause rapid exfoliation. Your face will fade faster as you wash it more frequently. Gentle cleansers are recommended.
• Spray tans last anywhere from 3-5 days, depending on your skin – every person is different. When applied daily, prolonging lotions extend the life of your tan for up to two weeks. The more you moisturize, the longer the tan lasts. Dry skin sheds faster and the first layer that sheds is going to be the spray tanned one! Always wear sun block when outside as the spray tan will provide no protection. Swimming, excessive sweating, frequent shaving and exfoliating will cause quicker fading of tan.