Eyelash Extension Pre and Post Care
Prior to Your Lash Appointment
1) Please arrive to your appointment with clean lashes. Thoroughly remove all eye makeup and eye secretions by cleaning your lashes with mild, oil free cleanser and rinsing twice after cleansing. You may come early to your appointment and cleanse your lashes as well.
2) If you are a contact wearer, remove contact lenses and wear glasses to your appointment. You may also bring a lens case and remove them when you arrive at your appointment. Use the restroom before the procedure begins. Avoid consuming large amounts of caffeine prior to the appointment as it can cause the eyes to flicker.
3) Plan to set aside up to 2 hours for your appointment for a Basic Full/Full and Fluffy set, up to 3 hours for a Volume set and 45 mins for a fill. Please arrive 10 minutes early to your initial appointment to complete the consent forms.
4) Having eyelash extensions placed is a delicate procedure that requires clients to remain still. Therefore, talking, checking text messages, and attending to the needs of children can not be accommodated during the eyelash extension application. Adhering to these instructions will ensure that you get the best results from your treatment.
5) Clients who can not lay down for 2 or more hours are not candidates for eyelash extensions. In addition, any disease/disorder that causes shaking or twitching of the eyes, hormonal imbalance, those on antibiotics or strong medications, chemotherapy or eye surgery within the last 6 months, or those with extremely oily skin are also not candidates for eyelash extensions.
6) Brighten will evaluate your natural eyelashes and recommend a safe length and diameter of eyelash extensions. The options available to individual clients is determined by the strength and length of their natural lashes. Brighten will not apply extensions that will cause damage to your natural lashes.
After Your Lash Appointment
(1) Avoid steamy environments and getting your lashes wet for the first 24 hours after your lash application. Avoid extreme temperatures while wearing lash extensions. For example, do not use a hot blow dryer on the lashes.
2) Do not use eyelash curlers or perm/ tint the extensions. This will break the bond and/or crease the extension permanently.
3) Only eyelash extension compatible mascara and eyeliner can be worn with eyelash extensions. These products can be purchased online and will be discussed after the application of your lashes. Wearing non-compatible products will dissolve the lash glue, cause a sticky mess at your lash line (which will create a breeding ground for bacteria), and for the health and safety of your eyes, your extensions will have to be removed. Removal of extensions due to improper care/improper hygiene is $30.
4) Do not attempt to remove any of the lash extensions by pulling. If you require lash removal, please schedule an appointment. Allow 30 minutes for a full removal.
5) Use only oil-free cleanser to remove makeup and be sure to clean your lashes everyday (after the first 24 hours). You will be shown how to clean your lashes and will be given a cleaning tool after the application of your lashes. Proper cleansing is important to avoid a condition called Bleph. Please see video at the bottom of this page about Bleph and how to prevent it.
6) If at any time, clients would like the lash extensions removed due to eye problems/concerns, Brighten will do so at no charge. (With the exception listed in #3).
7) Allergic reaction to eyelash extensions is rare, but it does happen. Clients should call Brighten to have the lashes removed and then seek medical care. Allergic reaction presents as extreme swelling around the eyes. If you have an allergic reaction to the lashes/adhesive you will experience it within 2-48 hours after application. Clients can develop an allergy to the adhesive even after they have had successful application of lashes in the past. Please note – Brighten does not use real mink fur (or any type of real hair) lash extensions. Brighten uses only synthetic PBT Fiber extensions which are known as “mink” and “silk”.
8) 3-5 natural eyelashes per day, per eye, are shed and new eyelashes are growing in simultaneously. Therefore, clients must return every 2-3 weeks for fills depending upon how full the client likes the lashes. Fills are available up to three weeks after the application of a full set/previous fill. Fill times are 45 mins, therefore, it is important to be on time to your appointment (and with clean lashes) to get the most out of your fill time. It is recommended to book your fill in advance. Brighten requests 48 hours notice of cancellation to try to re-fill your appointment time. Clients that cancel with less than 24 hours notice can re-book online.
Home Care Post Peel
o Do not get water on the face or cleanse for 8 hours following your peel procedure.
o Apply Recovery Balm and sunscreen ONLY (SPF 30) to the face until the peeling starts.
o Avoid the sun, heat or excessive dryness.
o It can take up to 3 days for the peeling to start. Once it starts, do not pick the peeling skin. (Use small scissors to cut off loose skin). Please note – not all peels will result in sheets of peeling of skin. Brighten offers several micro peels that result in light flaking.
o After the peeling begins, skin sensitivity will be noticeable. You might not be able to tolerate anything on your skin at this time. You can soak a green tea bag in cool water and place that on the fresh skin to soothe the area.
o The skin should be minimally touched during this time. For cleansing during the peel, you can splash water on your face, then pat skin dry – do not rub. Apply the recovery balm (as tolerated) to keep skin protected and moist. If sunblock can not be tolerated during this time, then you must avoid the sun completely.
o You may resume your normal skin care routine once sensitivity has diminished with the exception of all exfoliating products (acids) for 2 weeks following your treatment; this includes products that contain glycolic, lactic or alpha hydroxyl acids.
o Refrain from exercise or activity that will cause sweating or perspiring during the first several days after the peel. Continue to avoid heat. For example, do not stand in a hot shower and let the water run over the treated areas.
o Wear SPF 30 at all times during the daylight hours and re-apply every 2 hours.
o Men should shave 12 hours prior to the peel and not again until peeling is complete.
Peel Pre/Post Instructions (Not micropeel)
Please read each item carefully:
____ I understand that peels are designed to refine pores, clarify skin, improve texture, the appearance of fine lines and reduce hyperpigmentation. A series of 3-6 peel procedures with consistent homecare and no sun exposure may be necessary to see maximum, desired results.
____ I understand that this is a 3- to 7-day peel, and I will not look my best during that time and may not want to appear in public.
____ I understand that the peel may cause swelling or puffiness on the treated area, which may be uncomfortable. I realize that the procedure will most likely cause my skin to appear red and peel or flake like a sunburn.
____ I understand that during and after the procedure, the following may be experienced: stinging, itching, burning, mild pain, tightness, and peeling of the superficial layers of the skin. These sensations will gradually diminish over the course of 3 to 7 days, as the skin returns to its normal appearance.
____ I understand that there is a risk of post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation, especially if I am dark-skinned or pre-disposed to hyperpigmentation.
____ I acknowledge that no guarantee has been given by anyone as to the results that may be obtained from this peel.
____ I have informed my skin care professional of all medications and skin care products that I am currently taking or have taken during the past six months including both prescription & over-the-counter products.
____ I have informed my skin care professional about any susceptibility of cold sores and/or allergy to: ______________
____ I understand that I am not to pick at my face or peel away skin during the post-peel period.
____ I understand that I am to avoid prolonged sun exposure for the first two weeks following the procedure.
____ I understand that proper sun protection including, but not limited to, the faithful use of a broad spectrum UVA-UVB sunblock containing SPF 30 is vital to proper aftercare. I agree to use sunblock with SPF 30 protection at all times for the first month after the peel, will reapply ever two hours, and continue to use thereafter anytime I am exposed to the sun.
____ I understand I am to avoid heat and not participate in any activity or exercise that will cause excessive sweating or perspiring during the first several days after the peel.
____ I understand that there may be an acne flare-up after treatment.